Monday 29 March 2010

makes you think

Cllr Richard Willis posts here about the deselection of Anne Moffat MP and the reports that she is planning to sue the Labour Party, and makes a comparison with my own experience, rightly, because the bullying, undermining, rumour-mongering and intimidation that Anne and her friends and supporters have suffered appear to be very similar to my own experience.  I have posted previously about what Anne has gone through, and some of the comments from those closer to the Scottish experience than I am bear this out.  Sadly this kind of behaviour is not at all uncommon in the Labour Party, and female elected representatives and to some extent those from ethnic minorities are far more likely to be the targets for it than others are.  The Reading Labour Party is rather good at this, and CllrWillis rightly highlights the bullying behaviour consistently engaged in by its leadership (I was not the only one to be their target, by a long way) and especially the disgraceful behaviour of its leadership towards a then Labour councillor (who happens to be from an ethnic minority though Cllr Willis does not mention this) who was bullied into crossing the floor with a campaign of smears and ugly allegations, never substantiated, which arguably triggered the departure of another Labour councillor from the party and cost the then leader of the council his seat.  If this last is true, and I have been told that it is, then I take my hat off to the electors of Katesgrove for showing their contempt for such abuse of office.  David Sutton should never be allowed to hold public office again. 

Anne may have a better legal case against the Labour Party than I had.  She was deselected following a vote of no confidence, at a meeting packed with those working against her, with no opportunity for the wider party membership to vote.  I was told by the national party when I was fighting this same situation that such a vote, which was being campaigned for by the then chair of Reading Labour Party, Andrew Pegg of 9 Eastern Avenue Reading, would not be tolerated.  A deselection would have to be the result of a ballot of the whole party membership.  Which  it was.  The chair of Reading Labour Party in 2004, Stuart Singleton-White, the fraudster's friend, spent a lot of time canvassing the party membership in support of a deselection, telling members "If you can't vote for Tony Page, stay away". Singleton-White was rewarded for this by the Reading Labour leadership with a lucrative position on the board of Reading Buses.

Cllr Willis is right to point up what Reading Labour Party are capable of.  He doesn't mention the leadership's use of hired thugs to beat up a Conservative candidate outside a mosque or its corrupt misuse of council funds and facilities to support its electoral effort, or its use of council funds and vehicles to promote the election of Martin Salter in 2001 and 2005.  He doesn't need to.  These things are well known, and as the electorate of Katesgrove showed, attract widespread public disgust.

In the name of God, go.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To the woman with the funny hat - why did you publish Andrew Pegg's address? Are you trying to incite a vigilante attack?

janestheone said...

I wasn't, but it's an excellent idea come to think of it - over to you.

janestheone said...

oh and I'm not wearing a hat in the picture.

Anonymous said...

To the woman with the strange object on her head. Have I got this right? You are against violence towards women but in favour of violence towards men?

janestheone said...

I'm not wearing anything on my head in the picture. I haven't actually stated my position on violence, but for the sake of clarity, you had the idea of a vigilante attack on Andrew Pegg's house and I thought that would be good for a laugh.

Anonymous said...

As usual, you are being slippery. Try reading my message of 11:16 again and see what it actually says.

janestheone said...

yep, re-read it. It asks two questions, anonymous 1116 - answers are (1) I published his address to piss him off (2) I repeat, I had not thought of inciting a vigilante attack, but if anyone is minded to conduct one I will hold their coat and thank them for the entertainment