Monday 8 March 2010

International Women's Day

I had kind of forgotten that it was today, celebration of it has gone a bit out of style in recent years, though not here in Sarajevo, as I found today in a coffee shop when a man gave me a rose and I did not at first understand why. Anyway, there is to be a celebration in Reading, which has led commentators on His Master's Voice to, not to put too fine a point on it, take the piss, and some of them to point out that the celebration event is to be held in Cumberland Road, an area of east Reading where it is not uncommon to see women with their heads covered, though not wearing the burka or niqab unless things have changed a lot in the last five years. Anyway, the HMV report was a few days ago, and not being an avid reader of the comments there I missed this:

I wonder whether "Calamity" Jane will grace this event with her presence? Older readers from the hood (and I don't mean hijab, burka or niqab) may remember her as the flame-haired temptress (LOL). Unless she's advising some hapless Baltic state on foreign economic policy... Martin S, if you're reading this, I'm sure you will know who I mean. See you in the Real Ale tent on the day, chaps!
Boulevardier innit

No comments: